Sunday, April 28, 2013

With Mother’s Day just around the corner, it’s got me thinking about just how lucky I am to have a mom like mine. She's taught me countless lessons over the years that have served me well in my life, but three things in particular stand out as I look back on my childhood.

Just by being herself, my mom was able to teach me about the fundamentals of living a healthy and balanced lifestyle. In fact, I'm sure that I learned more from her example than I ever did from any text book or university lecture. In one way or another all moms have something to bring to the table when it comes to teaching their kids, but today I want to share with you the three lessons that my mom taught me that will forever make her awesome!

Lesson #1 – Eat Real Food

When I was a kid I used to beg my mom to buy me store-bought granola bars, cookies, fruit roll-ups, you name it, for my lunches at school. You see, my mom always went to the trouble of making everything from scratch and flat out refused to feed me anything that came from a package. At the time I wasn't always appreciative of her home cooking, but as an adult I'm now fully aware of I just how lucky I really was.

Although it was sometimes a struggle for her, I'm sure, my mom never wavered in her commitment to feed her family what I like to call 'real food'. I spent countless hours in the kitchen with her learning how to cook and about proper nutrition. In my opinion, this life skill is simply invaluable, and for that I am forever grateful.

Lesson #2 – Respect the Earth

Yup! My mom is probably one of the main reasons why I turned out to be the earth loving creature that I am today. By teaching me the basics of gardening when I was a little girl she also taught me about the importance of preserving and respecting the delicate balance of our eco-systems. We also talked a lot about the environment when I was growing up. I think these conversations coupled with the gardening really helped me to understand our impact on the earth as a species and why we need to protect it.

Lesson #3 – Stay Fit & Stay Healthy

My mom must have spent countless hours trucking me around from one arena to the next when I was a kid. I was an avid figure skater from the time I was about five to fifteen years old, and she never missed a single performance in all those years. I don’t think anyone ever believed I would be the next Michelle Kwan or Nancy Kerrigan, but my mom recognized the importance of physical fitness and made every effort to keep me active when I was growing up.

Of course I'm my own individual, but in many ways I owe my mother for guiding me in the right direction and for setting such a prime example in these three areas. This Mother's Day I'm hoping to spend some quality time with her and to let her know just how much I appreciate everything she's done over the years. Thanks Mom!

If you're looking to treat your mother to something special on the 12th, check out our selection of organic bamboo and organic cotton towels. These make a lovely gift for almost any occasion and come in variety of beautiful colours. When in doubt, you can also go for a gift certificate and let her choose for herself!

0 comments: