Saturday, January 19, 2013
Since the arrival of the new year I've become addicted to starting my day with a glass of room temperature lemon water. Each night before bed I fill up a pitcher with filtered water and throw in some organic lemon slices so that it's ready and waiting for me when I wake up. Simple.  

I was telling my friend about this new development in my morning routine the other day, and to my surprise she was genuinely stumped as to why I would bother. In case you're wondering the same thing, I've put together a short list of the main reasons I drink lemon water. 

Boosted immunity - Lemons are packed with vitamin C which is great for boosting your immune system, especially during the cold and flu season (Reference: 10 Reasons Why You Should Drink Lemon Water in the Morning). Nineteen days into the new year and I haven't been sick yet (knock on wood!). Hopefully I can keep it that way.  

Clearer skin - The vitamin C in lemons not only helps fight off colds and flus, it also helps reduce inflammation, which is one of the contributing factors to acne breakouts (Reference: Drinking Lemon Water for Acne). Some sources also reference lemon water as a great defence against wrinkles (Reference: 7 Reasons You Want to Drink Lemon Water in the Morning).

Weight management - Lemon water can actually speed up weight loss (Reference: Weight Loss Myths: Will Drinking Lemon Water Help You Lose Weight?). Lemons are high in something called pectin fiber, which has the effect of reducing hunger cravings. It also helps clean out built up waste in the colon, which is another sure fire way to lose weight.

Those are the three main reasons why I'm sticking to my new lemon water habit, but there are plenty of other health benefits that I haven't even mentioned. All I know is that I've been feeling great since I started! 

Do you drink lemon water in the morning? If so, how is it going? 

1 comments:

Geneviève said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the positive feedback. Have a great end-of-week.