Monday, October 01, 2012

My love of hiking began just under a few years ago when I moved to Hawaii to do my Master's. Who wouldn't love a morning spent traveling up the side of a dormant volcano or an afternoon adventure in the lush Hawaiian rainforest? These are some of my favourite memories of my time spent in Paradise and I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to live in such a beautiful environment.

Now that I'm back in Canada, I'm looking forward to getting out and enjoying some fresh fall air and the magnificent colours of the changing leaves. It will be a completely different experience than hiking in Hawaii but beautiful all the same. To help prepare, I've shortlisted a few items that I'll want to bring along to ensure the best hiking experience possible. Feel free to use my list for your next hiking trip or to adapt it to your own needs.

Day Hike Essentials:
  1. Water: I don't plan on any full day hikes so one bottle should do it. If you're more ambitious than me, make sure you bring enough liquid to get you through your trail and then some. Depending on where you go there won't necessarily be water fountains available.
  2. Snacks: My favourite hiking snack is trail mix because it's light weight and high in protein. Add a piece of fruit to the menu and I'm good to go.
  3. Extra Socks: At this time of year hikers are likely to come across a few puddles. There's nothing worse than cold wet feet so extra socks are an absolute must.
  4. Rain Gear: Not the most flattering look, but if you get caught in a downpour a hooded poncho is the way to go.
  5. Layers: Dressing in layers is important because you're not likely to stay the same temperature throughout your entire hike. I try to stick with breathable clothes made from fabrics using natural fibers such as organic cotton, bamboo, hemp, or modal. Bamboo and modal are especially great for moisture wicking and thermal regulation.
  6. Hat: Even if you don't use it it's a good idea to bring a hat along in case you get cold or need to keep the sun off your head.
  7. Comfortable Footwear: It goes without saying that comfortable and supportive footwear will greatly improve your hiking experience. So far I've managed to get away with a good pair of sneakers but for avid hikers hiking boots are a wise investment. 


Depending on where you live and what time of year it is, you may also want to consider bringing sunscreen and bug repellent. Most hiking experts also recommend that you pack a basic first-aid kit and some bear spray (depending on the area) in case you come across a bit of bad luck on your trip. Other than a camera and lots of energy, I think that about covers it.

If you're a hiker I'd love to hear from you. Feel free to let me know if I've left out any important items from my list!    

0 comments: